Sunday, November 22, 2009

Pooling Rivulets Stole pattern

Dear Dotty, yes, it's been an awfully long time since I last blogged. But I swear I've been knitting, and here's another free pattern to prove it!

I last left you with this sneak peek photo — Wollmeise 100% yarn in the Okzident colourway.


Well, it's now turned into this pretty little stole.


(Note: If you're new to the pooling technique, please read the first pattern in this series to get a good idea of how to figure out where your yarn will pool.)

Using an "e" or backwards loop cast-on, cast on 84 stitches onto a US7 needle. Please see my previous posts about figuring out your own "magic number" for your tension on the needles you've chosen. For this pattern, it's pretty easy to subtract pairs of edge stitches if you need to use fewer stitches to get the pooling to happen. (Some people also cast on a couple of extra stitches for the garter rows, and then do a k2together to lose them when they get into the pattern rows. It all depends on your individual stitch tension.)

Knit garter stitch for 6 rows.

Start working with the chart below. The stitches in yellow are your garter edging. My edging had 5 stitches in it, but your edging will be different depending on your stitch tension, so please add or subtract stitches as you need to.

(Click on the chart to get it in a larger, more printable size.)


End with a Row 11 or a Row 23.

Knit garter stitch for 6 rows.

Bind off very loosely using a sewn bindoff, to maintain the pooling.

Block and pin out the stole. Wear it and get lots of comments and questions about where you got it, and "wow, did you make that yourself?"

I find this one to be totally hypnotizing to look at. The colours pooled perfectly with the waves.


And of course, here's a shot of the whole thing. Thank goodness for the Ott Lite you bought for me, Dotty. It was such a horrible, rainy day today that without it, I wouldn't have gotten any photos at all!

9 comments:

Chris said...

Another gorgeous stole!

Dotty said...

Ack! Now I need some 3 colour WM.

Gail from Surrey said...

Dotty.......I know someone who might stalk some for you!!!! ;)

Gail from Surrey said...

Gladys.......Gorgeous, as usual!! Can hardly wait to fondle it in person. (I promise not to drool all over it)

heidi said...

very clever use of the way the yarn is dyed!

and the result is beutiful!

Sharon Rose said...

Fantastic, as always! I can't wait for xmas knitting to be over so I can play!!

Madam Butterfly said...

Very beautiful! I'll have to try it!

Margrethe said...

Very nice pattern, I love it. But discovered that the chart fits 74 or 86 stiches cast on not 84. I just thought I should tell you.

Keira Kiyoko said...

Thank you so much for all the great info! Love your patterns!!!