Friday, February 2, 2007

keeping my neck warm



(my first self-portrait - not too shabby)

Yarn: 1 skein Malabrigo; colour velvet grapes
Needles: 7mm circs

Here's the pattern for this version:
Cast on 90 sts
Join for knitting in the round; do not twist
Round 1: Knit
Next round: k1, *yo, k2tog; repeat from * until it's long enough (remember it will scrunch down) and leave enough yarn to cast off
Cast off & weave in ends


This is big enough to fit over my head without taking my glasses off. You can adjust the size (to suit your yarn, etc.) by casting on an even number of stitches. This stitch pattern is called "Turkish Stitch with right bias".

It's the first time that I've knitted with Malabrigo and it's a very soft yarn. I'm probably going to buy another skein - maybe in blues and make myself another neck thingy.

I started another Tofutsies sock today - not a mate for the first one. When I bought another ball of it on Wed, I was asked to knit a pair as a store sample. That's what I am working on today. Unfortunately, the colours are pooling. (Before anyone suggests it - yes, I did cast on a different number of stitches but it still pooled and I do not have bamboo needles in any other size. I will probably knit the second sock from the other end of the skein.) The runs of colour are much shorter than the first skein - probably because it's a different colourway.

Remember the Clover/Takumi bamboo dpns that I bought last week specifically for knitting Tofutsies sox? They have developed a curve. All the needles are no longer straight. I don't know what I'm doing but I must be holding them too tightly. Sigh...

No comments: