Monday, June 25, 2007

a day where I go slightly nuts

... at a dollar store. My sister (ever the shopping queen) can spot a bargain no matter where she is. On Saturday, she tells me about this great dollar store that she spotted while exiting another dollar store. She showed me all her loot and has convinced me to go with her on Sunday. She couldn't wait for me and went first thing in the morning while I had some other errands to run (having food in the house is kinda important). I got there eventually and wow! I've never been to one that big before. And the stuff is good. I spent $20. I went back today and spent another $20. It happens to be on the way to my parents' house so I'll be shopping there frequently.

There hasn't been much knitting - a few rows on my lace nightie, a few rows on my Monkey sock... I did a little research for a pair of 100% silk socks that I've been asked to knit. Anybody have any tips? Can I just use my regular sock pattern or do I have to do something special because silk is inelastic?

I've spent the last few days working on my niece's quilt. I finished machine quilting it yesterday. It needs binding, a label, and a wash. Then I'll be finished and I can start on the fishy quilt for Gladys' youngest son.

My other pet project is "the perfect sock project bag". I've made 4 different ones so far - Gladys has 2 and I have the other 2. None of them are exactly what I want so I keep thinking about it. I had a light bulb moment a few days ago and today, I picked up some supplies to make bag #5. If it works out, I'll show you pictures.

2 comments:

wenat said...

I'm dangerous in dollar stores. A new one opened up close to us, and I've spent lots of $$ there already -- mostly on Andrew's goodie bags for his birthday.

Andrew and I have a drill -- he gets to choose one thing when we get to a dollar store. It's fun to watch him try to decide what he really, really wants. And then, if we're feeling nice, he gets to pick out another thing for Geoff.

Looking forward to seeing the new sock bag design! I use the two you gave me every day.

PurlingPirate said...

Keep us informed! Aren't we all looking for the perfect sock bag?!