Thursday, June 28, 2007

Ridiculously far behind

Help! I've fallen (down on my blogging duties) and I can't get up!

But the kids didn't nap this afternoon, so they're in bed before 9:30 tonight, and I've got a wee bit of blogging time, so I'm taking advantage of it.

In answer to the birthday meme: go to Wikipedia, type in your birthday month and day and list 3 events, 2 birthdays, and 1 holiday.

On my birthday (Feb 21):
1842 - John Greenough is granted the first U.S. patent for the sewing machine. (This would have been better for you, Dotty!)
1925 - The New Yorker publishes its first issue. (And they've finally got a decent website with tons of great articles)
1937 - Initial flight of the first successful flying car, Waldo Waterman's Arrowbile. (This one just tickles my fancy.)
1927 - Erma Bombeck, American humorist (d. 1996) (And she's missed.)
1946 - Alan Rickman, English actor (with drool-worthy accent, best in Truly Madly Deeply)
International Mother Language Day (UNESCO) (This is probably appropriate given that I can only speak my mother tongue -- Hokkien -- in my sleep. When I'm awake I don't remember it at all.)

I also have finished socks to talk about.

The first pair was in Regia Silk, for one of my co-workers. She's a diabetic, so socks which don't have seams are really important for her. She's so appreciative when I make them for her. They're pretty boring, so I've just done a closeup of the cuff. There's a little cable up the sides of the socks which I really liked.


The second pair was the second sock for the Trekking entrelac socks. I couldn't stand the pressure of having only one sock, and cast on for the second sock. I did the feet in size 0 needles and switched to size 1 after the short row heel, so that it would be a bit easier to get it over my ankles.


And I didn't do the cast-off triangles at the cuffs because I like having bumpy cuffs. I think it adds a bit more interest to the sock. What do you think?


And here's a photo of my two boys. We went to our local community parade and fair last weekend. (Yes, it was cold enough that they had to wear heavy jackets, in June! Last year, we sweated through the whole thing and hid in whatever shade we could find.) This was Geoff's first amusement park ride and yes, he grinned like that the entire time. I can't believe his face didn't hurt afterwards. I've also (finally!) blogged Andrew's birthday party over at my family blog.
Also, I got into Ravelry! I'm not keeping up on that, either, but maybe this weekend I'll get caught up. Tony's going golfing on Monday, and he's offered to take the kids on Saturday morning and give me some home alone time. Woo hoo!

2 comments:

Dotty said...

I'm jealous that you've gotten into Ravelry. I signed up but I'm still waiting...

Love Tony's fire engine cake! I can see that Andrew was thoroughly spoiled on his birthday. I still need to stop by with his card and present.

I do like the entrelac socks with the bumps. It probably gives a better fit for your (ahem) shapely calves.

Kim said...

I love your Trekking entrelac socks. I hadn't thought of doing them in color changing yarn rather than using multiple colors as in the magazine. That's me, stuck thinking in the box....