Friday, February 13, 2009

Day Four

Internet access has been dodgy the last days of our vacation so I'm finally catching up on posting. Expect daily blogging until I'm done.

During the last day at Sun Peaks, hubby went skiing and I decided to go snowshoeing again. I picked up the snowshoes and a guidebook/map and went back to the hotel room to decide on my route and to pack lunch. While I was in the elevator, I came across two skiers who asked me if there was enough powder to go snowshoeing and I said yes, there was plenty. They grumbled about the inch of powder on the mountains. I think they were jealous of me.

I chose the Valley trail which goes along the bottom of the valley between the ski mountains. Just past the Mt. Morrisey chair lift, there is a snow cave.


The opening is definitely big enough to crawl into the cave but you have to get on your hands and knees.

On my way back, I switched to a harder route that goes along the base of Mt. Morrisey. It leads you past the little hut where we roasted marshmallows on Monday night.


I was able to take a little self-portrait.


As you continue along the trail, it goes uphill and if you ignore the trail markers and take a slightly lower route, you come out of the trees just above the golf course. There is a great 180 degree view of the valley and 2 of the 3 ski areas.


Mt. Tod is directly in front with the largest terrain and Sundance is just to the right of it. And you can see the snowshoe trail on the bottom left. The trail ends at the drop off and you slither down to the golf course where you get to hoof it through some deep powder. Trust me when I tell you that it's a good work out. Especially for someone with short legs!

I realized today that January was our blogiversary! So that means it's time for another contest & giveaway. Keep your eyes peeled for the details - coming soon!

2 comments:

PurlingPirate said...

Oh my gosh!! Wonderful photos! So snowy white wonderful! Of course it's easy for me to appreciate them wrapped up in a warm heart quilt on Valentine's Day! Happy Valentine's day!

Bea said...

The snowshoeing sounds fun. I think the cave looks like it could be interesting.