Saturday, September 11, 2010

catching up

Hey! I'm back. I didn't actually go anywhere (far away) but I've been busy. This will be the first of several posts while I get the blog caught up. Plus there are good kitty pictures that must be made public!

Today, it is all about the knitting. The last project I posted about was my Claudia Hand Paint socks. I did a lot of knitting on it during the last two weeks in August. There is an annual fair held in Vancouver called the Pacific National Exhibition (PNE). This is the 100th year and they had an amazing line up of performers. To open the fair, The Beach Boys and Bryan Adams played at the outdoor football stadium adjacent to the fairgrounds. Sadly, I had to work and missed out. Hubby and I bought fair seasons passes mainly to attend the evening concerts. It was the best $94 I've ever spent.

ETA: There was a Michael Bolton concert but I forgot to bring my camera :(

Huey Lewis and The News:


A family of 3 plopped their chairs right beside our blanket and when I glanced over, I immediately recognized Cat. She's a former knitting student of mine and regularly visits the yarn store where I work. Both our hubbies were quite surprised that we managed to bump into each other by accident. And we brought our knitting:


RCMP Musical Ride:


Spirit of the West:


Jesse Cook - by far the best concert!!!


Cyndi Lauper - she is awesome but even Cyndi Lauper can't make me like the blues:


You can see that I didn't bring my sock to the CL concert. I joined a knitting competition on Ravelry. The goal is to knit as fast as you can and get the finished shawl to your recipient (aka target). I couldn't lose precious knitting minutes so I went to the concert prepared:


I love my portable Ott-Lite.

The day after was our last concert - Steven Page (former lead singer for the Barenaked Ladies):


As you can see, I'm back to sock knitting. The shawl was at home drying.


Pattern: Springtime Bandit by Kate Gagnon Osborn
Yarn: Dream in Color Smooshy in Happy Forest; 1 skein
Needles: 4mm
Notes: 5 repeats of the main chart before edging. Cast on approx 8am Fri & cast off approx 2pm Sat. In the mail @ 10:30am on Sun. As of this post, the shawl still hasn't arrived at its destination

As part of the knitting competition, you can knit a second shawl (to keep) for extra points. I thought I'd take the opportunity to make a Christmas present. I shopped in Gladys' WM stash on Sunday night and found the perfect yarn. I cast on Mon and finished knitting this morning. It's already blocked and looks stunning. I can't post pics or info cuz the recipient reads this blog so I'll leave you with a link to my Rav project.

Not including the Claudia HP sock, I've plowed through approx. 819 yds of fingering yarn last week. No wonder my thumbs hurt.

2 comments:

PurlingPirate said...

It's a complicated story but there is a long standing joke that Huey Louis is actually the father of The Squid. It cracks up my knit girls that you saw him in concert!!! Your shawl turned out lovely, wish I could channel your knitting fingers into mine!!! I knit so darn slooooowly!!

Bea said...

Both shawls look awesome.