Tuesday, January 5, 2010

last & first

The bad news... Hubby is home sick with a bad cold so that means I'll be sick, too. The good news - you get quality photos of me in my new cardi!

Presenting my last FO of 2009 - drumroll, please!


Pattern: Mondo Cable Cardi by Bonne Marie Burns
Yarn: Berroco Peruvia; 7 skeins of col 7117 Gris Marengo (174 yds per 100g skein)
Needles: 5mm and 4mm Addi circs
Pattern Notes: My row gauge is off so the height of the bodice is taller than the pattern which puts the underarm lower so the sleeves needed to be shortened quite a bit. Knit the body 1" shorter than the pattern calls for. Haven't decided what to do about closures. I don't like having a buttoned up collar so I need to figure out something else. Picking up all those collar sts was tricky and I thought that I'd end up with holes but it all worked out ok. I made several mods for the collar. I did a provisional cast on and knit the collar as per the instructions. Once I was done, I went back and picked out the waste yarn and cast off. I did this so that both edges would match. I used a lot less yarn than the pattern called for. Even if I'd knit the body & sleeves the right length, I doubt that it would take the 3.5 skeins that's leftover.


Yarn Notes: The yarn is very similar to Lamb's Pride worsted. You have to be careful that it doesn't untwist as you knit. I chose a seamless pattern because the yarn doesn't look like it would be good for seaming with. When I wove in the ends, I noticed that the ends had felted to the cardi. It really felts easily so I have to be extra careful about washing it. The resulting fabric is very even and smooth. You have to look hard to spot the individual stitches. The yarn bled quite a bit in the water but the colour didn't change.


I can't get over how well this fits me. All the mods that I made were the right ones. I knew that I'd love this cardigan the minute I saw the pattern. You can bet that I'll be knitting the pullover version of this and possibly the vest as well.

Onto my first FO of 2010... I'm not a big fan of pink (like my nieces) but once in awhile, I like to have a little pink in my wardrobe. Maybe 2010 will become my "pink" year.


Pattern: top down sock; eop heel flap
Yarn: Brown Sheep Wildfoote Luxury Sock; col Sonatina SY-800
Needles: 2.25mm dpns
Notes: Both skeins were the same dye lot but you can clearly see that one sock is significantly lighter than the other one. The whole skein is that way. It's very soft for a yarn with nylon in it. Cast on is too tight so I can't pull the socks very far up my leg. Darn those shapely calves!!!

What a great way to end 2009 and start 2010, eh?

8 comments:

Chris said...

That is a gorgeous sweater and it fits you so well! Congrats!!

Batty said...

I love that cardi! It's absolutely stunning. Perfect fit, I love the color, everything about it is fabulous.

About the cold... if you have ginger in the house, peel, cut about 2" of it into circles, pour boiling water over it (about 4 cups), let sit for 10-20 minutes, drink as tea. You can take out the ginger, or you can just leave it in and 'drink around it.' But it's good for you, it's a disinfectant, and maybe your husband will feel better and you won't get his cold.

Bea said...

Love the sweater. It look fabulous on you. I like pink, but I prefer it much brighter.

PurlingPirate said...

I've been searching forever for the perfect cardi pattern for me. I'm still searching. Yours looks awesome though!!! I'm very impressed!

Everyone needs a little girly pink every once in a while.

Louisa said...

Perfect sweater! Looks fabulous on you. Could you get away with no closure at all?

As for pink socks, I've certainly knit more than my share for my granddaughter. Apparently everything I make her must be PEEEENNNNK to be acceptable! Recently I've been trying to sneak other colours in with the pink before I go nuts. So far the subterfuge has worked.

Sharon in Surrey said...

Saw it in person!! Looks good! By the way - did Gladys lose an IPOD on Wednesday nite??? I have it in my little knitting bag . . . .

wenat said...

OMG, Sharon, how do I get in touch with you about my ipod???

wenat said...

It must have slipped out of my jacket pocket and onto the floor ... EEEK, so glad you found it!!!