Thursday, June 24, 2010


Hubby & I are both recovering from the ride. Despite standing all day, my feet didn't hurt (love my Sloggers Premium Clogs; sadly no longer avail locally) but the lack of sleep and all day sun gave me a migraine which took a few days to shake off. I must remember to wear a hat if I'm going to be in the sun that long. Hubby is doing fine. He said that his legs hurt worse after a full day of skiing. His butt is also recovering nicely. Thank goodness the "sitting in a chair" part of his butt isn't the same as the "sitting in the saddle" part.

Hubby did the R2S raffle draw late Monday and I'm pleased to announce the winners (DaveC are you paying attention?). Linda is the lucky winner of a pair of handknit socks. Maureen won the quilt that I donated. And Gail won the quilt that Iris made. Gail is a member of my Wed night knitting group so I surprised her by bringing hubby yesterday night.

Gail was also the successful bidder for the auction quilt.

Thanks to everyone who donated and congrats to the winners.

The poor cats aren't liking me so much right now. After leaving them for 36 hours and then ignoring them the following day, I hauled them off to the vet's first thing Monday morning sans breakfast. I had them scheduled for their annual checkup, vaccinations, a bath, and teeth cleaning. Phoebe didn't get her teeth cleaned because the vet found a grade 4 (graded on a scale of 1 to 6; 6 being high) heart murmur. After a blood test & xrays, Phoebe's heart is enlarged so she's on medication for that. We've never had to pill her before and since this is going to be a long term issue, I bought pill pockets to hide the pill in. Works like a charm. She goes back in 2 weeks for a follow-up and more medication. Phoebe's thyroid is borderline abnormal and she'll need another blood test in 3 months. Poor Phoebe's starting to show her age (16 yo).

Ricky did get his teeth cleaned and one tooth had to be extracted. With the pain meds and recovering post-anesthesia, he was one groggy cat. We called him "dopey boy".

The bandage on his leg didn't help either. He tried to shake it off and then resorted to walking around on 3 legs. Ricky fell down a few steps while trying to run away from me.

I fed them when I got them home and Ricky made growly noises while he ate like he was really enjoying it. I've been told to feed Ricky soft foods for the next two weeks. Unfortunately, the only food he can eat comes in kibble form. I tried wetting it down but he wouldn't touch it. So I'm grinding it up in my food processor, adding a little bit of warm water, and a tiny amount of duck food to make it a bit more appetizing.

For the last few mornings, if Ricky even thinks I'm out to grab him (i.e. go upstairs while jangling my keys; opening & closing lots of doors), he'll run & hide under our bed. I think it's going to take awhile before he forgets that vet visit.


Monika said...

Both quilts are gorgeous! I'm glad all went well with the ride. Poor kitties though!

Chris said...

Congrats to the winners!

Sorry about the migraine - you have my utmost sympathy. So does poor Ricky.

PurlingPirate said...

Poor kitties!!!! Hopefully they will both be back to "cat normal" very soon!

The Squid and I both have big dopey sun hats to wear when we are out. Well, The Squid wears his 23.75 hours a day. Yes, he sleeps in it. I only wear mine when we are outside. I look ridiculous but it does help. Do I need to send you a big Texas sized one?