Tuesday, May 3, 2011

a funny thing happened at the store

Yesterday, I was out shopping for parts for TNW (The New Wheel). First stop was Home Depot. I found suitable replacement springs for the bobbin brake but they didn't have the right size screw eye or cup/square hooks. The next stop was Lee Valley where I got the screw eye (only used one so I have 99 spares) and after much running around by the clerk, I finally decided on the cup hooks (only used 11 so I have 89 spares). My last stop was Canadian Tire for some fishing line and a metal garbage can (needed something flame-proof to hang the used tung oil rags to dry/cure). This is where my day gets interesting. I know next to nothing about fishing line but there's a harmless looking gentleman looking at fishing rods so I pull out my bobbin brake and approach him.

me: Excuse me. I was wondering if you can help me.
Him: Yes?
me: I'm wondering what weight/thickness this fishing line is
me: ::shows him the bobbin brake::
Him: It depends on what you want to catch. This looks thick enough to catch salmon.
me: No, I don't need the fishing line to catch fish. I need to make a repair with fishing line.
me: ::shows him a spool of 40lb fishing line:: Is this thick enough?
(You are probably thinking that I should hold the old fishing line next to the spool and compare thicknesses. That would work if the spool wasn't shrink wrapped and I could see the individual strands of clear monofilament)
Him: ::gives me a weird look after seeing the fishing line is attached to a screw eye and a spring:: Well, the heavier the line, the bigger the fish that you can catch.
me: ::internal ARGH!:: Thank you very much. You've been very helpful.
me: ::scurries off to pay for the 40lb fishing line::

BTW, 40lb is the right thickness and I can catch salmon with the remaining 199.6 yds.

2 comments:

Sharon in Surrey said...

You'll need all that stuff to fix your 'I'm never going to buy a wheel' wheels. You r-e-a-l-l-y have it bad!! I'd suggest a Therapist but its already TOO LATE. Rescue wheels are everywhere . . .

PurlingPirate said...

Just think, you will always be able to provide for your family. Wool and fish. What more could anyone need??