Tuesday, December 2, 2008

finding my voice

I'm finally feeling the urge to blog again. It's been a tough 2 months since Mom's passing. It feels like everything is in suspended animation and each significant event (Thanksgiving, birthdays, and now Christmas) is a new hurdle and no one has the energy to jump. I am doing my best to comfort Dad while slogging through Mom's estate.

Knitting and quilting hasn't stopped but it's gotten pretty slow. I have a feeling that I'll be distributing hand knit Christmas presents into January.

If you're curious, here are the specs for the FOs that I showed in my last post.

Pattern: Monkey Socks by Cookie A.
Yarn: Blue Moon Socks That Rock Lightweight in Lauma (purple spirit)
Notes: You can barely see the purple. Most of the time, the yarn looks pink to me.

Pattern: Koolhaas by Jared Flood
Yarn: Berroco Ultra Alpaca
Notes: Great heathery yarn.

Pattern: R2D2 Beanie by Carissa Browning
Yarn: Knit Picks Swish Worsted in blue, black, grey
Notes: Knit a longer tube for the sticky-outy bit and stuffed the extra inside rather than using batting/stuffing.

I lucked out during the post Halloween sales and I found a styrofoam head for only $1.50. It makes blocking/drying/photographing hats a lot easier.

So what am I working on (that can be blogged about)? I'm making 2 glow in the dark scarves for the nieces. One is pink and white and the other is blue and white. I am knitting a sock sample for work using Dream in Color Smooshy. Plus there's the crocheted scarf sample that has finally gotten past the first row.

Yarn acquisition has slowed down because of some unexpected car expenses (3 major repairs in less than 4 weeks). I did weaken and I bought 7 skeins of Berocco Ultra Alpaca Fine. This stuff is so nice & soft. Five skeins will hopefully turn into the Apres Surf Hoodie and the rest will be used for socks.

The other big news - I'm going to be on TV. A show called Living Vancouver called the lys that I work at and wanted to do a crochet feature. So yours truly got a haircut, a manicure, and flaunted my stuff in front of the camera. If you get CBC Vancouver, the episode will air Wed Dec 10th at 3pm PST. Otherwise, you'll have to watch it online from the show's homepage.

And I'll finish this post with a Queen Phoebe picture:

4 comments:

Bea said...

Its lovely to hear from you. I know this is a rough time.

I think its so cool you'll be on TV! Too bad I don't get Canadian TV.

PurlingPirate said...

Welcome back to the blog. Hugs to you!

katerina said...

The holidays are the roughest part - hang in there, and know our thoughts are with you. Congratulations on the TV spot and glad to see you back posting.

gayle said...

So happy to see you blogging again. Take care as you push through this tough time.

Love the scarves. The kidlets will love them, too. I mean who wouldn't want to glow in the dark?