Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sunshine Coast or Bust!

Well, the 'bust' part happened. We had a great day planned - take the ferry from Horseshoe Bay to Langdale, wander around Gibsons (i.e. I go to Carola's quilt shop while hubby amuses himself), head north and visit Madeira Park (home of a yarn store in a yurt), and maybe catch the tidal surge at Skookumchuck Narrows. We were all ready to go, I was shutting down the computer for the night and heading to bed early in order to catch an early morning ferry, and that's when I heard it - ::drip:: ::drip:: ::drip::. Hmmm... what could be dripping? Well, there was water coming out the top of the hot water tank and dripping down the sides. I yelled for hubby and we set about shutting the tank down - turn off the gas and water supply. The water supply was a bit of a problem. The shutoff was broken so we ended up turning off the water to the whole house. Yep, no running water so no toilet flushing, brushing teeth, etc. Wasn't it just a few months ago that I was peeing at the local gas station?

Anyways, I called the plumber who said he'd send someone the next day since we'd managed to turn the water off and it was no longer an emergency. I was up til 1:30am draining the tank. Luckily, the tank sits on concrete and there's a drain right beside it. There's a bit of damage to the edge of one of the floor boards but it's not too bad. It's still summer weather so I'm sure things will dry out quickly.

Since there are no Sunshine Coast pictures, I'll show you what I bought in Victoria:


Some books from Munro's, Shi Bui sock from Button & Needlework Boutique, Fleece Artist Merino and Angel Hair combo from Beehive Wool Shop, a sheepy water bottle (hubby actually saw this while I was shopping at Beehive and bought it for me :), bicycle fabric and a cute birdie quilt pattern both from Satin Moon Quilt Shop.

And the sheepy water bottle isn't just any old water bottle. Some of the sheep are having a little extra 'fun':


And here's the fabric that I bought for the birdie quilt:


It's not quite enough but I probably have bits in my stash that I can use. I want to downsize the quilt for a baby so I'll probably only make 4 blocks.

I photographed my Mondo Cable Cardi and I realized that I made a boo boo. There are 20 rows between the first and second twists and 18 rows (the correct number) between the second and third twists.


So the cardi is in limbo until I decide what to do. I will not be frogging it back because this yarn doesn't frog well. One option is to ignore it and keep going. Another option is alternate - 20, 18, 20, 18, 20. What do you think I should do?

10 comments:

PogKnits said...

I'd ignore it. 20, 18, 18, 18... it will look fine. Anyone who notices is looking waaaay too close!

Bea said...

Chris got a good laugh out of the sheep water bottle "extra fun". I think it will be fine to just do 20, 18, 18, 18...I really don't think I would notice if you hadn't said there was a problem.

(Sorry for the bust...)

Anonymous said...

Sorry to hear about the drip!!! Hope all gets fixed so u can continue on with your daily adventures. Sounds like fun. Love the water bottle!!! See u soon.
Kathy

geela said...

That's sad about the drip but I guess you can say thank heavens you were home to catch it on time. Maybe you'll get to Langdale, yet.

I love the birdie quilt and the fabrics you chose. The yarns are nice, too and the bottle is a laugh.

I agree with the 20, 18, 18,18 gang. Just carry on.

Gail from Surrey said...

Okay.....enough already! Oh my, you and M have had more than your share of the water-type issues around the house!

Nice finds in Victoria! I am really excited to see your plans for the merino/angel hair...... as.........I have some in my stash , as well.

Sharon in Surrey said...

Alternate Baby!! If you don't, you'll always know it's there & it'll drive you batty!! Love the bottle, wish I had one!!! there'll always be Gibsons - just think what you would've found if that drip had started a day later . . . . Your Good Fairy was being kind to you!!!

PurlingPirate said...

That sheepy bottle cracks me up!!! And your new yarn is gorgeous!!!

If it's going to bother alternate.

Chris said...

Ugh about the plumbing woes...

I have that same water bottle!

The socklady said...

If'n it can't be seen by a person on a galloping horse, fergetaboutit.

Alternate.

knitseashore said...

Oh, Dotty, I'm so sorry! At least you caught it in time.

I'm with Sharon -- I'd alternate if you can, cause otherwise it would drive me crazy.

Love the bicycle fabric!