Sunday, April 3, 2011

what have I done?

I'm in big, BIG trouble. As a knitter, it was bad enough that I was hoarding yarn but now I'm able to make it in a big way.


This is Matilda. A slightly used Ashford Traditional spinning wheel. I bought it yesterday with the help of my friend, Vicki. We took it back to her place where I spun a little Romney/silk.


Silk is tricksy to spin. I took the wheel over to Gladys' and both of us spun on it while a little drunk. I switched us to something less tricky - plain old wool. I finished spinning and plying it this morning (while sober).


It's only 50 yds (74g; the rest of it was spun on my drop spindle). It's horribly underspun, overspun, overplied, underplied, and in general, pretty gross. But perfect for my first wheelspun yarn!

6 comments:

Monika said...

Congratulations! My first spinning wheel was also an Ashford Traditional, and I loved it! I bought the jumbo flyer and bobbins as well, and used them for plying! Have great fun with your wheel! :o)

Kota said...

Ha Ha another one who has joined the slippery slope of spinning. Watch out spinning wheels and fibre can breed. Jan 2010 no wheel. Feb 2010 one wheel and under 500 gms of fibre. Fast forward to April 2011 - 4 raw fleeces to process, large tub of fibre tops and silvers + another box. 2 wheels, 5 spindles and I am heading to wonderwool in wales next weekend... Once you get fibre in the blood watch out.....

stringsattached said...

Dotty, I'm so jealous! She's beautiful. (Need to wipe away the drool.) Where did you find her, and let me know if you find another.

Sharon in Surrey said...

And so the spindle seduces another knitter into a spinning wheel. I think this is how we got Gail . . . You'll be buying fleeces next!! Remember, she who has the most fibre when she dies, wins! Hehehehehehe

Shirley said...

I was just wondering how the look see went. Obviously, very well! Have fun with the new toy.

Loren T said...

Ha! Good luck to you. I am awaiting the arrival of wheel #4, which should hopefully be here today. Just letting you know what you're in for :)