Monday, March 23, 2009


Blocking (sorry for the poor picture - it was late at night):

And this morning, released from bondage:

Pattern: Aeolian shawl; made the shawlette size
Yarn: Marion's Sock Yarn (light fingering; 80% merino and 20% nylon; 420m; 100g); col unknown (pale bluey-greeny); 1 skein with about 18" of yarn leftover
Beads: 6/0 silver lined clear seed beads
Needle: 3.5mm Addis
Blocked dimensions: 44" at its widest (not along the top edge because it curls); 22" long

Notes: Because I was going to run out of yarn, I did the cast off with only one strand. And since I was using a heavier yarn, I chose to do 5 stitch nupps. The nupps are hardly visible. I also went up a size for the beads. The yarn bled a fair bit when I soaked it but I don't think it's changed the colour any.

If I were to make this again, I'd probably skip the nupps or make the nupps using laceweight.

I am totally in love with this shawl as you can tell by the fact that I knit it in 8 days - I can't even knit socks that quickly. Being sick on the couch/bed helped a lot, too.


PurlingPirate said...

Gorgeous!!!! Great job!!! Jealous!!

Bea said...

Gorgeous! I can see why you love it.

Gail from Surrey said...

Beautiful! Looking forward to seeing and fondling it at WNK.

YowlYY said...

What a beauty! Mine is still at the second row of the transition chart, still a fair amount of knitting to go, but I am enjoying it as you did :)

dobarah said...

Congratulations, this is a gorgeous shawl! Thank you for the details, they are helping me begin my shawl.

Debbie said...

Positively Stunning!! Love it!

Kat said...

Wow, stunning work! Almost like a Luna moth (in the most complementary way possible!)