Tuesday, September 18, 2007

too good to be true

We did go shopping. But hubby didn't set foot into any yarn/quilt stores and certainly didn't hold any packages for me. At least, I got a chauffeur for the day.

Our first stop is Maple Ridge. Quiltopia is a quilt store that I've never been to but I've heard good things about it. It's small and their selection is pretty limited. I didn't see any fabric that I wanted but I did pick up a quilt pattern.


Two blocks away is a yarn store called Once Upon a Sheep. It's run by the Salvation Army and all profits go to supporting the organization. I didn't buy anything from there. It was a teeny tiny store and didn't have anything that I was interested in.

Our next stop was Abbotsford. I went into Strung Out on Beads. It's a big store and they have a huge selection of bead supplies. I was there quite awhile.


These will become stitch markers for knitting socks from Cat Bordhi's New Pathways for Sock Knitting. I really wanted black cat beads but they were sold out.

Down the block is Quilt Essential (yes, I was there last week but I didn't have much time to browse).


I bought some fabric that I liked. No idea what I'll use it for. I also poked my head into a used bookstore and picked up a few more books for my collections.

We drove out to Langley and got lunch. Our next destination is a yarn store called Knit Cafe. But we find 88 Stitches instead. Doesn't matter - a yarn store is still a yarn store. This place is small (not as tiny as Once Upon a Sheep) but they have a good selection. I bought one skein of Austermann Step.


It's getting late and we want to get home before rush hour traffic starts so I make a decision to skip A Great Notion and go straight to Knitopia. The store recently relocated from White Rock to Langley so I wanted to see its new digs. The store is pretty dark but it's about the same size as the old one. I saw some hand painted merino/tencel sock yarn but I didn't like any of the colours. They had lots of yarn on sale. I tried to be a good girl.


I bought the Fiber Trends Felted Clogs pattern and 6 skeins of Lopi to make myself a pair. I also bought a skein of Briggs & Little Sport for socks. I know that it's one ply but I've heard it makes ok socks. At $5.50 per skein (one skein is enough for a pair of socks), I couldn't resist. I was looking for Durasport (contains a little nylon) but they didn't have it in stock.

So that's my quilt/yarn store crawl. Hubby is worn out and having a nap right now. I'm going to see if I have any circs big enough to knit those clogs with.

2 comments:

CraftyCanadian said...

that quilt pattern looks great! again, I have to say how nice it is to hear about places I recognise - though it does make me yearn for Vancouver... sigh...

PurlingPirate said...

Not to shabby a haul!!! Very nice work! I don't think my husband would ever do that for me!