Friday, November 9, 2007

more yarn weighed

My yarn has thawed and I think this is the rest of my sock yarn stash (at least, what I can find).

Koigu (50g): 50, 50, 50, 52, 50, 52, 52, 54, 50, 50
Handmaiden Casbah (115g): 118
Louet Gems fingering (50g): 56, 58
Lorna's Laces (no weight on label): 56, 58

So here's my theory about the yarn weights... It's all about imperial vs. metric. Base yarn seems to be sold by the ounce or pound. One pound is approx. 454g. So 4oz is 113.5g and if you split that into 2 skeins, each one is 56.75g. Maybe the weight of the yarn depends on the source of the base yarn. If it's being bought/sold in imperial measures, you get a little more. This makes sense when you look at my yarn stash - a good amount of it is hand dyed/painted with the base yarn purchased probably in the US. These skeins are well over the weight listed (Koigu is the exception). But yarns from Europe seem to be right on or even slightly less.

Polly's theory is that US sock yarns are more generous than the British yarns. She's going to weigh more of her sock yarn and we'll see how her numbers compare with mine.

BTW, does it shock you as much as me that I have this much sock yarn?

3 comments:

PurlingPirate said...

Oh, I'm sorry. Is that a lot of sock yarn?

Carol said...

Thanks for adding the extra information. I'm glad you don't seem to be getting shortchanged on any of your yarn! And no, that's not a lot of sock yarn!

woolcat said...

I think it's a lot of sock yarn, but I'm very envious! All that yarn to pet. Except when it is in your freezer, that is.