Thursday, July 17, 2008

quilt challenge

So what do you think of this fabric? (you must click to embiggen)


Interesting, eh? A quilting friend runs the recycling program at her quilt guild and this fabric (10 yds or so of it) was dumped in the recycling bins. She's decided not to try to recycle it within her guild because she doesn't think anyone will take it. So she brought it to our little quilting group and this is our challenge. We're supposed to make a quilt with this drapery/upholstery weight cotton. We can't chop it up into tiny little pieces. Most of my group won't go near it but myself and one other quilter have accepted the challenge.

Does anybody recognize the images? They are photographs of something. A temple or wall? I tried to look up Buddhist gods/goddesses but nothing looks quite the same.

ETA: The images have been identified! They are from the Khajuraho Group of Monuments in India. I'm just so glad they aren't pictures of the erotic carvings. Ewwwwwww!

Not much knitting over here. I'm off washcloths for awhile. I've switched back to the hemp shrug that I want to wear to the wedding. I was working on it earlier today but I had to rip back because I was paying too much attention to the conversation and not enough attention on which rows required increasing. Ooops!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It could be Indonesian, or maybe Malaysian. It reminds me of the carvings that I saw in Java. Hope you can find out its history!

PurlingPirate said...

Gosh, it seems familiar to me. I'll look around and see if it clicks in my memory.

Bea said...

I haven't got a clue at all. Its not that pretty though :)

knitseashore said...

A belated happy birthday to you!

I admire you for taking on that quilt fabric challenge. Can't wait to see what you can do with it! Some of the most fun ideas come from challenges like that.

Congratulations to the hubbies and their friend for a great ride!

Louisa said...

What a challenge! I'm not sure I could live with that fabric around me. I find the broken bits disturbing. My brain keeps wanting to fix it! You'll certainly have to let us see how it turns out.