The very first sock yarn that I purchased was Patons Kroy Socks. That was several years ago - right about when I started knitting again. My first attempt was cuff down but when I was working the heel flap, the stitches looked too loose and funny. Back then, I didn't know that sock gauge needed to be tighter than normal and using the needle size recommended on the ball band produced socks with built-in air conditioning. So I ripped back and tried again with smaller needles. But then I ran into a quality control issue. There were a lot of breaks in the yarn. A lot. The sock was abandoned because I didn't want to deal with the breaks. I probably left the sock for at least a year. I gave up on sock knitting. It wasn't working for me.
I tried sock knitting again last September with some other sock yarn using a toe-up pattern and I was hooked. Using good yarn and finding the right kind of pattern was the key. I finally decided to do something about the poor Kroy sock a few months ago. I ripped everything back. I swatched. I rewound both skeins trying to figure out the best way to handle the breaks. I knitted and yesterday, I finished knitting my first sock yarn.
Yarn: Patons Kroy Socks in denim jacquard
Needles: 2.5mm (the ball band recommends 3.25mm) dpns
Pattern: generic toe-up with short row toe & heel
This is the 17th pair since I started knitting socks in September 2006.
Correction: I've knit 18 pairs. I forgot to include the sample sox that I knit for Three Bags Full.