Monday, February 19, 2007

Gung Hei Fat Choy

This weekend - there was eating (lots of it), shopping, and quilting.

There were a few sales that I went to this weekend. A local fabric shop was advertising a new stock of bamboo fabrics. I was curious to see what they had. I've read that bamboo keeps the body cool and wicks more moisture than cotton. Hubby is an avid cyclist and I thought I could make him a jersey to wear. But the bamboo fabrics were all woven and looked too dressy. I did pick up some silk thread for an applique quilt that I poke at once in awhile.

Hubby and I went to the Sandbar Restaurant for our 'eat out' Valentine's dinner on Sat. I highly recommend it. The food was great. Hubby ordered har gow (chinese shrimp dumplings) as an appetizer followed by wild sockeye salmon and grilled jumbo prawns with asparagus and risotto. I had the carmelized onion & feta flat bread and the ultimate tapas platter. The platter was huge (I knew it would be). There were spring rolls, wok squid, riblets, crab cakes, and pork dumplings. Yum! I couldn't eat it all by myself but there wasn't a single crumb left when the waitress came by to take our plates. We shared the apple crumble a la mode for dessert.

On Sunday, I was scheduled to go to a birthday party but I had managed to get myself double booked. So I sent hubby to the party and I went to my quilting gig. I helped make a raffle quilt to raise funds for the Burnaby Children's Hospital Fund. The quilt is wonderfully scrappy and I had lots of fun giggling with the girls. We only managed to make the 30 blocks. There is some machine applique that needs to be done, the blocks need to be trimmed and sewn together, and borders added. We're getting together again in April to finish the top. I'll take pictures when it's done. There was one major fatality. Adrienne managed to sew her finger. Not a little nick but right through her finger nail. EWWWWWWWW! Lucky for me that I was somewhere else cutting fabric. I don't handle blood/gore very well. She was such a trooper, tho. She was bandaged up, someone made her some strong tea, and shortly afterwards, she was sewing away with the rest of us. If it was me, I would've been a babbling idiot and crying for someone to drive me home.

Yesterday night, hubby and I went to my parents' house for Chinese New Year supper. I was expecting duck but there was none. My Dad's very picky about ducks and apparently, the local shop switched cooks and the duck isn't the same as before. So no duck. Boo hoo. No worries as there was lots of other good food. My Dad is a top notch cook (he's cooked professionally, ya know) so we're never disappointed. We were so full that there wasn't any room for dessert. And yes, I did get a red envelope (eventhough, I'm too old and married).

(Sorry about the picture quality. We left the camera at home so this is the best I could do with my cell phone's camera).



My Mom is a sock knitter! This is her sock. She knit the first sock with my supervision. She knit the second one (that's the one in the picture) by herself. She started a third sock with the leftover yarn but ran out partway up the leg. She decided that she didn't like sock #1 (gauge was too loose, mistakes in the short rowing, etc.) so she frog'd it and is reknitting it. I gave her more sock yarn to knit with and I'm buying more for her. Dad's getting a pair of handknit socks eventhough, he doesn't want any. Hee hee.

I got a tiny bit of knitting done this weekend but I got a lot done today. I'm still working exclusively on my test knit piece. I should be able to blog about it/post pictures as soon as the pattern's published!

ETA: ybtb is having a sale - 20% off basics; yoo hoo, Gladys...

No comments: