Tuesday, January 30, 2007

Take that!

I have defeated misplaced yo's, I have conquered errant k2tog's, I can get the sock over my heel, and it's not baggy around the ankles. So take that!

I feel good about finishing this sock. So good that I may start the second Wyvern instead of the second Tofutsies sock.

I have to admit that it's my first non-plain stockinette, non-allover ribbing, lace sock. I have learned several things about lace sock knitting - I cannot count (and no amount of post-it notes can help me), yo's seem to pop-up in all the wrong places, I cannot drop stitches/rows to the boo boo and reknit (I have to frog entire rows), lace patterned socks really don't have much stretch and getting one over your heel is trickier than usual. But the end result is sooooo worth it!

Here are the stats:
Yarn: Schaffhauser Wolle Soiree (vintage stuff from a destashing knitting friend of my quilting friend); 70% wool and 30% silk; originally an insipid yellow but dyed with lemon/lime KoolAid
Needles: 2.25mm steel dpns
Wyvern by Marnie MacLean
Mods: I knit the medium size for the foot and increased 8 stitches (between the columns of lace) right after the heel turn.
Tips: When I was ready for the heel turn, I knitted row 6 of the chart and then knitted the heel. The first round after the finished heel was a knit round (chart row 7) and then I started the chart on row 8 for the back of the leg which is the same row as the front. I did not want to keep track of two different chart rows (see previous paragraph about what I learned).

I think I'll work on Arwen tonite instead of sox. I got Grey's Anatomy Season 2 discs 5 & 6 in the mail so there's lots of knitting time tonite.

No comments: