Wednesday, March 12, 2008

snuffle

I'm sick. The flu. Ugh. Achy, fevery, sore throat, no energy. No knit nite and no quilting tomorrow. Phooey.

Luckily, I got a bunch of stuff done Mon and yesterday. Mon night we went out to Ikea to pick up a bookcase to hold all my WIPs (yes, my WIPs now have their own bookcase).


I can now see the top of the coffee table, there is room to sit on the couch, and there aren't baskets full of yarn under the coffee table. Yay!

I did a lot of knitting yesterday. I swatched the Cascade Fixation. That's weird stuff to knit with. It's stretchy and I can't quite figure out how tight to pull on the yarn when I wrap it around the needle. So my gauge was all over the place. I eventually got stitch gauge but row gauge is off.

I finished the first Berroco sock.


The sock fits great! I love the heel - it looks like a heel flap but there are no sts to pick up! This sock was knit toe up. If you're a sock knitter and you don't have Cat Bordhi's latest sock book, I highly recommend it. In the picture, the sock looks a little funny/bulgy just below the cuff. I knit 2" of leg on larger needles before I knit the cuff. This yarn has no stretch so I wanted to make sure there would be room for my *ahem* shapely calves.

While I was collecting my WIPs and putting them into the new bookcase, I decided to knit the other side of the Brea bag (a WIP from 2006?). I washed and blocked the two sides and left them out to dry. This morning, I found Ricky snoozin' on wet wool. That corner of knitting dried very quickly LOL!


Once the sides are dry, I'll start knitting the gusset piece. But no moss stitch for me - it'll be plain stockinette. And I'm going to knit the sides to the gusset as I go along. I just learned that trick making the Bloody Stupid Johnson hat and it should work here, too. The only thing I need to figure out is whether I want to attach 3 sts for every 4 rows or 2 sts for every 3 rows.

I'm all out of blogging energy. Time for one more episode of Enterprise and then bed.

5 comments:

PurlingPirate said...

I'm sorry to hear that you are sick. GoodGirlPurl is sick too. Guess the "ick" is going around everywhere. Love your new bookcase!
Take care of yourself and get better soon.

The Imperfect Knitter said...

Hope you are feeling better soon, I have lost your e-mail address due to a complete and utter crash , and when I use the one on your site it keeps coming back to me help.
Luuuuurve your book case , or should I say your wipcase?

Nikki said...

ooo, nice shelves for wips!! And Ricky looks sooo cute all curled up on the wet wool (cats are so silly!)

Hope you feel much better soon!

Martha said...

We missed you at knit night--check out my ravelry for mystery stole FO pics. I hope you feel better, I know so many people with the flu right now!

knitseashore said...

I hope you feel better soon! Chris my DH is sick too. I guess it's that time of year, and we all need to follow Ricky's example and just curl up and rest.