Saturday, March 8, 2008

therapy

I've heard that shopping is good therapy. Well, I got a lot of therapy yesterday. Here's a close up view of my haul:


At the top is some roving from the Knitopia booth - dyed by West Coast Colour. I'm using this to make thrummed mittens with the skein of dark grey Cascade 220 just below it. To the left are 2 skeins of Cascade Fixation (from Woolaroo) for a secret project. At the bottom (l-r) are: West Coast Colour merino/bamboo/nylon superwash sock (for Gladys), Twisted Sisters alpaca sock yarn, Araucania Ranco (col 109) and undyed superwash merino/bamboo from Fun Knits, and mystery sock yarn (most likely Fleece Artist or Handmaiden) from Birkeland Bros.

This year's venue was much smaller than the Tradex and it was sorely lacking in the food dept. There is a nice cafeteria at the Tradex but the new place just had a catering truck parked beside one of the side doors. I'll bet the line-up for food will be long today.

I definitely liked this year's vendors. There was a greater variety of fibres and there seemed to be more yarn to tempt knitters :)

I finally ordered my new glasses this week. I bought a new pair in Dec but after 4 different lenses and two months of going back and forth, I finally returned them. I was completely unhappy with the quality. So I was looking around and I found the frames that I like at Costco. I explained my problem with the other place and after looking at my history, the optician advised against hi-index lenses. So I get to have thick lenses in partially rimless frames - ugh. I'm going to look ugly!

And another ugh... After 7 years, we think our expensive front loading washing machine needs repairing/replacing. We bought our front loader way back when they were first being sold in Canada. We've heard that a small leakage causes washer failure just after the 5 year warranty period. I noticed today that it was particularly noisy during the spin cycle and Gladys thinks the drum needs replacing. She has a similar model and her washer's drum was replaced last year. Sigh... I'll go console myself by fondling my new yarn.

3 comments:

Chrissy said...

That looks like a great haul! I agree, there were many more yarns to tempt this year, but I definitely prefer the Tradex.

PurlingPirate said...

It's amazing how many times I turn to my yarn to help soothe my soul.

knitseashore said...

Sorry about your washing machine. Hopefully it will be fixed/replaced soon.