ARGH! I have never had such a problem with a stitch pattern. If there's an error, I can usually figure it out fairly quickly. But this stitch pattern is kicking my ass. I have spent part of yesterday night and all of today trying to figure this out.
I want to use the lacy entrelacs pattern on page 101 of the Knitting Encylopedia 1500 patterns by Mon Tricot. Firstly, it says it's a "multiple of 13 + 1 + selv" which is wrong. The "+ 1" isn't necessary. Then I knit it up and there's something wrong going from row 5 to row 7. And there's something wrong going from row 11 and row 1, the first ssk doesn't line up. Note that these problems are only at the beginning/end of the row. The pattern is fine when you repeat it across the row.
Here is the original pattern charted:
The first problem is trying to line up the 2 yo's of row 7 on either side of the yo in row 5. To make it work, I have to k1, yo, k1, yo at the beginning of row 7. But then there is a stitch missing at the end of row 7. I have adjusted by doing a kf&b in the last stitch of the row.
But when I go from row 11 to row 1, the extra stitch at the end of the row has to go. The extra stitch at the beginning of the row isn't a problem. It's as if, rows 7-11 need to shift over by 1 stitch. I tried knitting that up but it didn't work out. I'm going to play around with it a bit more. I've invested so much time that I'm not willing to give up now.
If any of you can spot the problem with the pattern and have a solution, let me know. I would be very grateful.