Friday, March 23, 2007

getting my ass kicked

ARGH! I have never had such a problem with a stitch pattern. If there's an error, I can usually figure it out fairly quickly. But this stitch pattern is kicking my ass. I have spent part of yesterday night and all of today trying to figure this out.

I want to use the lacy entrelacs pattern on page 101 of the Knitting Encylopedia 1500 patterns by Mon Tricot. Firstly, it says it's a "multiple of 13 + 1 + selv" which is wrong. The "+ 1" isn't necessary. Then I knit it up and there's something wrong going from row 5 to row 7. And there's something wrong going from row 11 and row 1, the first ssk doesn't line up. Note that these problems are only at the beginning/end of the row. The pattern is fine when you repeat it across the row.

Here is the original pattern charted:

The first problem is trying to line up the 2 yo's of row 7 on either side of the yo in row 5. To make it work, I have to k1, yo, k1, yo at the beginning of row 7. But then there is a stitch missing at the end of row 7. I have adjusted by doing a kf&b in the last stitch of the row.

But when I go from row 11 to row 1, the extra stitch at the end of the row has to go. The extra stitch at the beginning of the row isn't a problem. It's as if, rows 7-11 need to shift over by 1 stitch. I tried knitting that up but it didn't work out. I'm going to play around with it a bit more. I've invested so much time that I'm not willing to give up now.

If any of you can spot the problem with the pattern and have a solution, let me know. I would be very grateful.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I solved this problem by making the yarnovers as "yarn forward over the needle from back to front". When working the alternate (WS) rows, most st are purled except for the yarnovers which are knit, thus fulfilling the directions to knit the purls, purl the knits. (the last ws row is all purls) I didn't encounter the fewer/greater stitch problem, but like you ignored the +1 st when calculating number of cast on stitches. Now looks like the photo in the book. MsCGal